Rice Saved My Water Damaged Nexus 5

By 09:09 , , ,

I've always wondered how people have managed to lose their phones to toilets. About 40 hours ago, my Nexus 5 went on an unexpected diving expedition.

I was in the bathroom, undoing my belt when my Nexus flew out of my hoody pocket and into the clean toilet.


My first thought was:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!


Then:
...That's £300 in the toilet


I immediately fished it out from its tragically watery situation and started to panic. I knew I had to turn it off and get it drying.


Problem was that the screen had gone blank, not immediately after I rescued it but not long after and stopped responding so I couldn't turn it off. Too chicken and lacking the tools to prise the battery out, I did what I could and got a plastic box, filled it with rice and placed my wiped down phone into its recovery chamber.


Rice the saviour and my phones rice rehab box.


I was terrified. The phone was still receiving emails/notifications, buzzing from within the box and flashing the LED light. Unable to do anything, distressed and tearful, I let the rice do its thing. 


The next morning the screen was responding and I turned it off. I'd read 24 hours was the minimum time to leave it so I didn't check it again until the evening. I managed to unlock it and check a few apps before the phone started freaking out, opening and closing and switching between apps. In a panic I turned it off again with the hope that the rice would keep working its magic.


This morning I checked it again and it seemed fine and back to its pre-water experience state. Not wanting to hump the gun I left it another 8 hours and...



IT'S ALIVE!!

All hail the rice.

There are thankfully no problems with sound, picture, camera, any other functions and it is behaving exactly as it did before it went in the toilet. I'd lost my iPod a few years ago to some light water damage and seriously thought it was the end for my barely a year old phone. But it had survived to live another day and I've learned a valuable lesson.





You Might Also Like

0 comments